Kaweesi Murder : Super Market Video recordings go missing

Former IGP Kale Kayihura with the late Andrew Felix Kaweesi at a past function

Fresh investigation details into the murder of former Police spokesperson, Andrew Felix Kaweesi, show that Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras at a nearby supermarket recorded the assailants.

Unfortunately, the video footage has since gone missing, revealed sources within the Internal Security Organisation (ISO) that carried out extensive investigations into what they called a well-planned murder. The source said the server of the CCTV camera system at the supermarket (name withheld) where the footage had been captured, was stolen by unknown people a few days after the murder took place. The matter was reported to the authorities and is being investigated.

“The people at the supermarket told us that they actually saw the assailants on their CCTV cameras as they rode by on motorcycles. But the supermarket was attacked and the server was taken by unknown people,” the source revealed.

The source, however, hastened to add that ISO still has vital technical evidence that they believe can be helpful in any further investigation and prosecution of suspects in Kaweesi’s murder.

 “The technical evidence is still safe.”

The Scotland Yard is expected to come up with a report which operatives said will decide the fate of senior Police and army officers accused of the murder of Kaweesi.

“It will be the Scotland Yard findings that will determine whether the senior security officers arrested and detained will be charged with Kaweesi’s murder or not,” the source revealed.

In the contentious audio, Kayihura was reportedly recorded asking Muhangi whether Kaweesi was really dead, to which Muhangi allegedly responded that: “Yes, yes.” Both Muhangi and Kayihura have rubbished the claims.

“There are also some crucial people who were not interrogated by the sub-committee who have been recommended to be interviewed. Among them is Assistant Inspector General of Police Abas Byakagaba, who is said to have been the last person who talked to Kaweesi on phone, and the widow (Annet Kaweesi) among others,” the source revealed.

Kaweesi was shot dead on March 17, 2017, as he left his home in Kulambiro to go to work. Kaweesi was murdered together with his bodyguard, Kenneth Erau, and driver, Geoffrey Mambewa, by assailants travelling on motorcycles.